Friday, July 26, 2013

Porpoisemonkey in Pokemon Leaf Green

After a ten year lapse since the last time I played a "main series" (canon, handheld) Pokemon game, I decided to return to Leaf Green, planning to play through the entire game and eventually work my way over to other games in the series that I never initially owned (this basically includes everything outside of the 3rd generation [own Leaf Green, Emerald]). Anyway, I was playing through the game and struggling to piece together the very disorderly and clouded fragments of memories concerning my play through of this game almost ten years ago, when I started to notice things, things that I definitely wouldn't have noticed the last time. These things varied in nature, and proved worthy of titles such as humorous, intriguing, perplexing, and even creepy. This example stuck out to me more than any other I've encountered as of yet (as of this point, for I haven't completed the game yet), and deserves to be labeled with every quality I mentioned previously short of "intriguing". In fact, the only person that would find it so is the old man in the picture himself, Porpoisemonkey! That's right, for whatever reason, developers decided that a game whose fan-base would, more likely than not, include young children was not mature enough with simply gambling, violence and gangsters, and thus they decided to throw in this little touch right here. So next time someone tries to tell you that Pokemon is a game for small children, remind them that they slapped a realistic portrayal of Porpoisemonkey right out in the open without a second of remorse or reconsideration.

They got his face and everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment