Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Custom Cases for Your Retro Collection

*zips pants up, looks around, leaves without washing hands*

Oh hey! Didn't see you there.  *cues rap beat* Y'all ready for a new dance?

The name's Stevie Jay, and I've got to say, that
this is the most exciting thing that you'll do all day.

You step to the left,  then you take one back,
then you step to the right and grab a snack.

Take a game
start to play
and that's how you do the Stevie Jay.  (repeat from second verse 3 times)

        Okay *breath*, now for my official greeting; Hello. Cutting to the chase, I've recently acquired the urge to clean and sort my N64 games on shelves, because well, they're dirty. Some of dirt and ink (from when your mother wrote the title of the game on the top so you could locate it when they're vertically lined up in a drawer) were nearly impossible to get out, but eventually the cleanliness prevailed on these cartridges. Due to the fact that they ARE cartridge and not disc based games, I looked into storing these games a lot safer than just lying on a shelf, and my only conclusive result was to buy custom made cases from retro gaming websites, or places like Amazon or eBay in bulk packaging.

        The cases themselves look great if you're a video game collecting guru, or if you just want a few for your favorite games, and are for a wide variety of retro gaming systems like N64, SNES, or Genesis. I being an N64 game collector found the cases intriguing because the N64 games came in cardboard and were thrown away 90% of the time (again, by your mother). They actually offer 3 styles of box art for N64 cases: horizontal, vertical, and japanese.


 Horizontal 

(remains faithful to the original box)

 Vertical

 (box art is rotated to the left, compressed, and placed in the center. Also note the difference in the spine from the horizontal case)


Japanese 

(you know how those japs luck out with everything??? well looks like we get a slice of that cake)


        I guess you could say I'm advertising http://www.retrogamecases.com/ because I'm planning on purchasing mine (when I get the chance) there. They charge $9.79 at retrogamecases each, but the upside is that the shipping is free and they offer plenty of coupons to lower the prices. 

        So yeah, that's the"exciting" news update (if got bored, cried, or fell asleep in anyway after reading this, please scroll back up and read the lyrics to my dance song). As a closing message,  If I do order one, I plan on making a video review containing my personal impressions, the "fall test" (where I drop it off The Empire State Building and see if it's still in one piece after impact), and the Stevie Jay dance. 

With all that said, I bid you farewell

No comments:

Post a Comment